2020 Promaster 1500 Cargo Van
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen and sounded just like a cricket (I was born with the hiccups.), so yes, I have been Cricket for a very long time now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas, and spend most of my free time outdoors and exploring the back roads. When it cools in late autumn, I disappear from the world for a bit for camping trips, exploring, and hiking.
I have dreamed of being a van lifer for many years and finally started the process to make it happen.
In May of 2022, I bought a Certified Pre-owned 2020 Ram Promaster 1500 with 18,145 miles. There was already a sink (with foot pump water), a platform bed set up, flooring, foam insulation, and some shelving. I am just a little over 5 feet tall, so I can easily stand in it.
Then the real work began...
My oldest daughter graciously offered to provide me with a home base for my travels so that I could stop paying rent and be able to build out the van fully, one step at a time, while always having a home to return to and a permanent address. After giving notice at my old place, I began downsizing over the next 60 days, giving away or donating everything I wouldn't need to take with me.
I still have an overwhelming list of things to accomplish before I set out on the road full-time.
- Internet Access On The Road (I work remotely.)
- Installing Shore Power For State Parks
- Investing In a Portable Power Station (Jackery?)
- Off-Grid Solar Power Solution
- Heating and Cooling Solutions.
- Improve Insulation For The Ceiling
- Learn Basic DIY Mechanical Skills.
- Improving My DIY Skills To Add Drop-Down Desk
- Toilet Solution For When One Is Unavailable (That doesn't involve digging a hole.)
- Making Sure I Always Have a Backup Plan For My Backup Plans
I have a feeling I will be posting A LOT of questions here!