Road Trip Living banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Always Make Time For Fishing!

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Cricket 
#1 ·
Several years ago, my son and I took a road trip to Lake Bob Sandlin State Park in Northeast Texas, in the Pineywoods region.

We had a fantastic campsite that bordered the lake and offered the most beautiful sunsets.

Immediately after discovering this spot, my son ran back to the truck returning with fishing poles and tackle.
Cloud Water Plant Sky Natural landscape

In a crazy short amount of time, we had a few panfish. We put them on a stick over our campfire within mere minutes of catching them.

At that moment, while eating the freshest fish, I always vowed to bring fishing gear on all my road trips. It was one of the first things I made room for in my van!

Are you always prepared to go fishing on a moment's notice? :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Great picture. Something about fresh caught fish and how they always taste better. For years I've always carried one of those collapsing poles on my motorcycle for when I came on a good spot. Haven't done that in a while but you reminded me how enjoyable it was sitting on bank side.

#3 ·
Awesome photo, Cricket - You always seem to find that little sliver of time that just means so much.

Speaking of fishing: I used to fix the grandkids Fish-n-Chips when they were little. (they are 15 & 17 now). Haven't seen them in awhile and haven't cooked for them in ages. When I go to visit, they want to eat out at the seafood place. I told them they can cook just as good as them with a little practice. But, it's always "there's nobody to show us". Well, yesterday, I gave them the "basics" in a short video of how they can do it. Waiting to see how well they can follow directions.(I prefer lemon pepper - but, the kids don't care for it, thus the plain kind). YMMV (Your Methods May Vary).

#8 ·
First "road trip" since this forum has started . . .
The wife and I are going to to Cleweston today just for funzees. Cleweston is at the bottom of Lake Okeebechobee and the beginning of the Everglades - gonna take a couple of sacks and try to round up a python or two for some gas money. Then, maybe catch Roland or Scott Martin at their marina and grab a fish samich.
OR - just a leisure day trip out of the house for her to see something new.
I'll be totally out of pocket for the entire day. (might do some fishing - depends on the weather).
John

#10 ·
Well, it was a good day trip. But, I swear, I'm beginning to think there isn't one square block left in Florida that hasn't been commercialized. The place I used to frequent was sawgrass, swamps and canals as far as the eye could see. Now, it's all been drained and you just see sugar cane and rice fields for miles and miles. Then shopping center after shopping center. I'm back on the track of seriously looking for a place up on the Blue Ridge Parkway and get the heck out of Florida
That's okay, the wife got to wet a line but didn't catch anything. But she had a good time anyway.
When we went to into a Wildlife Management Area to see some snakes, she chickened out. (LOL LOL and I think I also had some reservations of putting my hands on something bigger than myself). So the two pillow cases can go back in the linen closet.
Water Sky Cloud Water resources Plant

Water Sky Water resources Plant Cloud

#11 ·
Another short road trip yesterday to the West Coast of Florida to "Ozello" in the Crystal River - Homosassa Springs area. Famous for the kayak light tackle enthusiasts. When we got there, the temp dropped to 50* and winds up to 20-25mph so we had to settle for a little road-side spot. (and I had to don my longsleeve flannel shirt). Nothing to bring home. We just fed the infamous Bait-Stealers one hookful after another. There were some tourists with young teenagers that were having a ball catching the little critters. Other than that, just a nice day to get out and enjoy the slower pace of life for a few hours. There are a few RV camping sites in the area but during the winter (SnowBird Season) they are usually full. In the summer months, the biting bugs can be pretty bad.
Wheel Tire Water Sky Land vehicle

Water Sky Plant Shorts Casting (fishing)

Glasses Outerwear Beard Tree Plant

Ecoregion Map World Font Line

#13 ·
There is a guy on TidalFish that just completed a 23 day kayak fishing trip up and down both sides of Florida and posted his awesome fishing report. He said he fished the Ozello area before and didn't have any luck. My brother lives there and he's been fishing that area for over 20 years and very often catches the big keepers for his freezer. He wasn't home when we went there on this trip so I came home with no fish LOL.

Edit: one can only imagine those folks that come to Florida (From Texas) for camping and fishing during the non-tourist season and has good luck finding a decent camping spot next to the saltwater fishing area.